Sunday, February 10, 2008

End of an Era

From the trimmed down elementary-school version of Seussical to this year's swan song during my son's senior year in high school, I've been swimming in a wonderful Broadway musical stream. I will miss the rush I get from these crazy shows, and my life will be poorer without all of these crazy teenagers in it.

Today has been spent sifting through various scores, trying to help the director decide what might be vocally castable, wondering anew at the mess that is these old Tams Witmark scores, and running from the fact that this is probably the end of an era. I get plenty of chances to produce shows at work, but it's not the same. The stakes are higher, and the satisfaction is different.

I could continue to volunteer hundreds of hours at a time once my kids are out of school, but I know I won't. I guess I don't miss it that much. But it's my prerogative to be nostalgic, and to enjoy this final run around the sun.

No comments:

Contributors